From the investigative team: Maltese journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia was brutally killed in October 2017 by a car bomb just meters from her home. The investigation into her killing is ongoing, but there is little doubt that she was murdered because of her work. With a brazen, unapologetic and uncompromising style, she denounced corruption, nepotism, clientelism, and all kinds of criminal behaviors in her tiny EU member state.
Led by the organization Forbidden Stories, a group of 45 journalists representing 18 news organizations from 15 countries picked up Daphne’s work after it was abruptly halted by her gruesome death on the doorstep of Europe.
In October 2018, one year after Daphne’s murder, Forbidden Stories launched the second round of stories from the Daphne Project with the financial support of IJ4EU.
- The passport king who markets citizenship for cash (The Guardian, 16 Oct 2018)
- ‘Golden passports’ threaten European security, warns EU commissioner (The Guardian, 16 Oct 2018)
- A Malte, de nouveaux éléments dans l’enquête sur l’assassinat de la journaliste Daphne Caruana Galizia (Le Monde, 9 Oct 2018)
- Malte : soupçons de corruption confirmés sur des membres de l’entourage du premier ministre (Le Monde, 9 Nov 2018)
- Malta, A Modern Smugglers’ Hideout (OCCRP, 10 Oct 2018)
- Projet Daphne : Malte ignore toujours qui a voulu la mort de sa plus célèbre journaliste d’investigation (Radio France, 9 Oct 2018)
- Omicidio Daphne Caruana Galizia, ci fu un altro incontro tra uno dei killer e il ministro maltese (La Repubblica, 8 Oct 2018)
- Omicidio Daphne Caruana Galizia: quel vascello dei trafficanti nella secca al largo di Valletta (La Repubblica, 10 Oct 2018)
- Omicidio Daphne Caruana Galizia, così il governo maltese rimuove le proprie responsabilità (La Repubblica, 10 Oct 2018)
- Exclusive: Mystery company named by murdered Maltese journalist is linked to power station developer (Reuters, 9 Nov 2018)
- Morde an Journalisten-Tatort Europa (Süddeutsche Zeitung, 7 Oct 2018)
- Wem gehört 17 Black? (Süddeutsche Zeitung, 9 Oct 2018)
- Sie spotten über die ermordete Journalistin (Tages Anzeiger, 9 Oct 2018)
- EU kämpft gegen Pass-Paradiese (Tages Anzeiger, 17 Oct 2018)
- Daphne Project: MP raises questions about Cardona call logs (Times of Malta, 8 Oct 2018)
- ‘Malta has become a crossroad of illegal trafficking’ – Italian police (Times of Malta, 10 Oct 2018)
- Exclusive: 17 Black owner identified as local power station businessman (Times of Malta, 9 Oct 2018)
- Führen Spuren in die Politik? (WDR, 8 Oct 2018)
- Documentary: Schweig. Oder Stirb. (WDR, 8 Oct 2018)
- Daphne Caruana Galizia: Ermordet (Die Zeit, 10 Oct 2018)
The information on this page is supplied by the investigative team. The IJ4EU fund partners are not involved in the editorial process of any funded project.