Vessels from the European Border and Coast Guard Agency, Frontex, have been complicit in maritime “pushback” operations to drive away refugees and migrants attempting to enter the European Union via Greek waters, a joint investigation by Bellingcat, Lighthouse Reports, Der Spiegel, ARD and TV Asahi has found.
Open source data suggests Frontex assets were actively involved in one pushback incident at the Greek-Turkish maritime border in the Aegean Sea, were present at another and have been in the vicinity of four more since March 2020.
The role of Frontex assets in such incidents has never been recorded before. The IJ4EU-funded investigation made global headlines, with coverage in media outlets as diverse as The Guardian, Le Monde, Politico and Al Jazeera.
Following publication of the investigation, Frontex launched an investigation into the allegations and the European Commission called for an urgent Frontex board meeting.
“This report shows in a larger and starker degree than previously known the deep involvement of Frontex in the most egregious violations of refugee law that we have seen in Europe, basically, ever,” Itamar Mann, associate law professor at the University of Haifa, told The Guardian, adding that it was now down to the European public and politicians to push for accountability.
“Frontex as an organisation is gradually embracing more and more the harsh reality of violations that have regretfully become systematic. The sources exposed by this report show a level of toleration by Frontex officials, which unquestionably amounts to complicity.”
- Frontex at Fault: European Border Force Complicit in ‘Illegal’ Pushbacks ( Bellingcat, UK, 23 October 2020 )
- EU Border Agency Frontex Complicit in Greek Refugee Pushback Campaign ( Spiegel International, Germany, 23 October 2020 )
- EU border force 'complicit' in illegal campaign to stop refugees landing ( The Guardian, UK, 24 October 2020 )
- EU border agency ‘involved in illegal pushbacks’ of migrant boats ( Al Jazeera, 24 October 2020 )
- EU agency launches probe after reports of migrant pushbacks ( Associated Press, 27 October 2020 )
- Confusion over Frontex's Greek pushback investigation ( EUObserver, Belgium, 28 October 2020 )
- Commission calls for Frontex meeting over migrant pushback reports ( Politico, Belgium, 28 October 2020 )
- The borders newsroom ( Lighthouse Reports, Netherlands )
- Frontex in illegale Pushbacks verwickelt ( ARD, Germany, 23 October 2020 )
- Frontex in illegale Pushbacks von Flüchtlingen verwickelt ( Spiegel, Germany, 23 October 2020 )
- Schwerwiegende Vorwürfe gegen Frontex ( ARD, Germany, 27 October 2020 )
- EU-Agentur Frontex soll in illegale Push-Backs verwickelt sein ( Der Standard, Austria, 24 October 2020 )